If you are looking for a popular American home project for your own home, you have come to the right place. There are eight American home project options listed here that have made the top American home project list. You can try one or all of the top eight American home project options listed here to improve your home, add value to your home, and ultimately improve how you live in your home.
What Makes These Some Of The Favorite American Home Project Options?
American homeowners are big on DIY home projects. We love to better our environment by putting in the sweat equity that it takes to improve our homes. These eight American home project ideas were chosen because they come with a high return value when you go to sell your home, they can be affordable projects, and they improve your lifestyle.
To make the American home project list, a project has to be something that any homeowner can do to their home. It also has to have a high popularity rating. For example, one of the American home project list options is replacing your countertop. According to Angi, a whopping 53% of Americans plan on redoing their kitchen this year, including replacing their countertops. Another American home project list item is installing a fence. About 79% of home buyers said that having a fence was on their must-have list according to the REA.
Price point was another consideration when it came to which projects made it to the list. Every option on the list can be affordable. There are tips in each section that will tell you how to make the process more affordable. Try some or all of these American home project list items to improve your home.
Install Custom Cabinets
The first thing everyone thinks when they hear custom cabinetry is whoa wait a second ‘that is way out of my price range.’ The fact is you can actually get custom cabinets for a lot less than you think. Before you decide that you cannot afford to have cabinets that are designed for how you live in your home, connect with a provider to learn more about pricing.
Cabinet designers can make having custom cabinets affordable. Below you will find some saving tips you can apply to this type of cabinetry. Custom cabinets are a great option for updating your home and making any room more functional.
Here are some tips for making custom cabinets more affordable:
- Choose a less expensive material. The cabinet designer will have several material options to choose from. Choose an option that is less expensive.
- Choose a smaller number of cabinets.
- Ask for discounts. Sometimes, if you ask about discounts, you will get discounts.
Custom cabinets can be affordable. Talk to a designer today.
Replace Your Kitchen Countertops
The kitchen is the heart of the home. It gets a lot of traffic. New countertops will instantly upgrade your home. Countertop contractors will have a wide range of countertop materials to choose from that will come at a wide range of price points.
You may be thinking that new countertops are out of reach financially. The fact is you can help to make the project more affordable by working with a contractor that specializes in countertops and doing this:
- Choose a budget-friendly material. There is a wide range of materials that are budget-friendly which will make this project more affordable. Talk to your contractor about different options to learn more.
- Invest some sweat equity. Ask the contractor how much savings would be available if you did the demo work yourself. You might be surprised to find that a little hard work can equal big savings.
- Look for companies that offer discounts. If you are a veteran, senior, first responder, or school teacher, many contractors offer discounts for these professions. Choose one that does.
There are a lot of ways you can make installing new countertops affordable. It is a great project that comes with a 17% ROI. Do it.
Replace Your Appliances
Americans are becoming very aware of energy-saving tactics. Replacing your kitchen appliances is an easy way to save on energy bills. This American home project is one of the easiest ones to accomplish and starts delivering returns on your investment right away.
Old outdated appliances are energy vampires. Today’s new appliances that are Energy Star rated are designed to operate at optimum energy efficiency. Every Energy Star-rated appliance has a tag on it that tells you what you can expect to pay every year to operate the appliance. The savings that you experience with new appliances for the kitchen can be significant. For example, according to the Department of Energy, a new Energy Star-rated refrigerator can save you over $300 a year in operating costs compared to a similar style refrigerator that is seven years or older.
There are easy ways to save on new appliances for your kitchen:
- Bundle your purchase. Many big box discount home improvement stores offer appliances in the bundle. For the kitchen, the most common bundle is the dishwasher, stove, and refrigerator. You can save hundreds of dollars by bundling.
- Wait for the semi-annual sales. There are typically two times a year when appliances go on sale. Right before the winter holidays and in time for spring, home improvements. Wait for the sales.
- Consider dent sales. You can find decent appliances that may be a bit dented or scratched.
The fact is that you can save money on new appliances if you plan it right.
Install a Fence
A fence is a great project for any home. A fence creates a clear boundary between your property and enhances safety and security. Fence companies have a wide range of fencing options to choose from that can suit your needs to a tee.
There are a few things to keep in mind when you are deciding on which fence is right for your home. The larger the fence, the more it will cost, and some materials cost significantly more than other materials. For example, a six-foot-tall vinyl privacy fence will cost more than a six-foot-tall wood fence. Here are some other things to keep in mind:
- Make value the primary focus when choosing fence materials. As mentioned, vinyl is a more expensive option for fencing but it requires no maintenance. When you are deciding on your fence, consider the amount of time and costs to maintain it.
- Going a little shorter can equate to big savings. If you can cut back on the height of your fence, you can find significant savings.
- You can do it yourself. You can do the work yourself but it is a taxing job.
Working closely with a fencing contractor can help you to find the best fence to meet your budget and fit your home’s needs. Fencing is a great way to add some value to your home and make your yard a private oasis. Learn more about this great American home project by connecting with a fencing expert today.
Install A Pool
One of the really fun American home project list items is to install a pool. A swimming pool contractor can help you to transform your backyard into the family hot spot you have always wanted. A pool brings a lot of lifestyle value. You can create an oasis right at home with a pool. Imagine just taking a dip any time you want to in your pool.
Pools come in all shapes and sizes. They can be in-ground or above-ground. They also come in at a wide range of price points. Working closely with a contractor that specializes in pool installation will help you find a pool that is affordable.
There are a few ways you can save on the cost of a pool:
- Do part of the work yourself. If land needs to be cleared for your pool, do that part yourself, it can save you some money.
- Above-ground pools are cheaper than inground pools. If the budget is tight, above-ground pools can be very affordable.
- Size matters. Downsizing your pool can also help you to save.
The best time to have a pool installed is in the fall. Connect with a trusted contractor to learn more about how to save on this project.
Trim Your Trees
If our trees have been neglected, consider connecting with professional tree services that can correct the problem. Trimming your trees is not only something you should do for aesthetics, it is something you should do for safety. Tree trimming is also something you should leave up to the professionals.
It may cost you a little more the first time you have your trees professionally trimmed, but it will cost less with the maintenance visits. Professional tree service will improve the health and appearance of your trees. This is a necessary expense. You can save on the costs by keeping up with the maintenance of your trees.
Landscape Your Yard
Landscaping your yard is a great way to add value to your home. Local landscapers will have a ton of ideas to improve your landscaping. They can help you easily add value to your outdoor spaces. About 69% of homeowners pay for professional landscaping services in the United States, according to the Landscapers Association. Landscapers manage a variety of landscaping activities.
A good landscaping company will offer services like landscape design, artificial grass installation, lawn care, hardscaping, and more. Landscaping can add about 12% value to your home. Of course, it can make your home a much better place to be. As far as an American home project goes, landscaping is way up near the top of the list.
There are easy ways to save on landscaping projects including:
- Do part of the work yourself. You can make the landscaper’s job easier, which can equate to savings by doing some of the work on your own.
- Consider buying part of the materials yourself. If you can find a great deal on landscaping materials buy them and pay the landscaper to install them.
- Use perennials and native grasses for landscaping. They will thrive and come back year after year.
There are ways to save with a professional landscaper for all your landscaping projects. This is a great project that will pay you back with beautiful outdoor spaces that will just keep improving.
Replace Your Flooring
Last but not least on the American home project list is to replace your flooring. Replacing the flooring in your home adds instant value and can transform any space. There are so many options out there for flooring. From ceramic flooring to high-quality vinyl tiles that look like wood and stone, and really deliver the durability a busy home needs, there are so many options for customizing your space with flooring.
A flooring contractor can help you choose the flooring option that will be best for your home. You can choose a combination of flooring for your home. For example, carpet in the bedrooms, engineered wood in the living areas, the combinations are endless. There have been a lot of advances in flooring over the last decade which has made it more affordable than ever to replace your floors.
Investing in your home is one of the best places to put your money. You can customize your home to fit your family’s lifestyle. These eight American home projects are a great place to start transforming your home into a custom sanctuary that feels like it was built just for you and your family. Get started today on the path to upgrading and improving your home.