Syracuse, Indiana Boy Dies Inside Home — Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Likely Cause


carbonmonoxideA 12-year-old boy from Syracuse, Ind.’s death is being attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning by authorities.

According to WNDU 16, police responded to a call reporting a boy was found not breathing in 200 block of West Washington Street shortly after 3:45 p.m. on Saturday, June 28.

By the time investigators arrived, they discovered Skyler Spore had died, WDNU 16 reported. Two gas-powered generators had been running inside the home at the time of his death, leading authorities to believe his death was a result of carbon monoxide poisoning — although a final toxicology test result is still pending.

Carbon monoxide poisoning remains a small but prevalent cause of death throughout the United States, killing approximately 170 people each year.

Spore’s autopsy was conducted at the Northeast Forensic Center in Fort Wayne, according to WNDU 16.

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), carbon monoxide poisoning happens after excessive intake of carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas emitted from combustion engines (such as those in cars and trucks), small gasoline engines and even burning wood. Carbon monoxide poisoning tends to affect people who are in an enclosed area while the gas is emitted, like a garage.

In addition to the 170 who die annually as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, the CDC reports that some 20,000 people have to visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.

In order to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, the CDC recommends keeping household appliances regularly inspected and having a mechanic regularly check your car’s exhaust system. It’s also imperative to never run your car while your garage door is shut.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *